Skip to main content

Nick in Time





My mother didn’t teach me to shave; she actively tried to stop me. She argued that I was too young, unconvinced by my pleas that all the other girls were doing it; unconvinced by the 34 Double C bras she had to order from the Sears catalogue. I didn't want boobs at aged 10. I didn't know what to do with them. I didn't want hairy legs at age 13, either.  I had a mind of my own and my body, alas, did too, regardless of Mom's "too young" argument. 

By grade eight, all the other girls – or at least one of them – suggested I see to my legs and underarms before we donned bathing suits for the upcoming co-ed class swimming lesson, which was a big deal. We were to be bussed from our small rural school to a sports complex in Kitchener, big deal.  I would see Robert Woods in his bathing suit and he in mine, big deal!

Without telling Mom, I simply borrowed the gummy turquoise Lady Shick that she kept in a bathroom drawer alongside a congealing jar of Noxema and a disintegrating compact of foundation powder, and got to work hovered over the bathtub.

It wasn’t my red welted, half hairless legs that tipped her off to what I’d done. It was the pool of blood circling the drain and the overwhelming stench of my dad’s shaving cream that followed me through the house to accompany the trail of red spotted tissues. And, I hadn’t just nicked myself, I’d sliced a two-inch gash above my ankle that is still visible to this day. Mom threw up her hands in dismay and sighed, the mother of all sighs, not having realized that, by 1973, those sighs had become entirely inconsequential.

Not so my attempt at shaving. Sadly, the open wound prevented me from taking part in the swimming lesson. I watched Robert Woods from the bleachers, fully clothed, disappointed and emanating a faint woodsy scent. 


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Manger with Jesus

  Young children have a hard time understanding complex ideas and things they can’t see. This is why they say the darndest things as adults struggle to explain concepts like God, death, and the small microbes that live on their grubby little fingers which they should wash before supper. My nephew, we’ll call him Sebastien, was four years old when my father passed away. Dad had Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, and while he had trouble breathing and didn't have much energy, he always had time to read a story or share some red grapes with Sebastien. There were lots of naps in the big easy chair with Grampa. When Dad got sicker, the chair was moved out of the front room to make way for a hospital bed. Dad died on December 24, 2009, as my brother and I held his hands and my mother stroked his face.   At Sebastien’s house, his mother struggled to explain what had happened. Why there would be no more naps, stories or grapes with Grampa. “His get-better-bed didn’t work,” she sa

Life with Neville

  Neville and I exist in a drafty, clapboard house at the end of a gravel road. We don’t see much of the neighbours. It’s conversation-worthy if a car goes by or, more likely, turns in our lane to avoid the dead end ahead. Neville mostly does his own thing and, especially in the winter, I rarely see another human being outside of the monthly trip to town. The view from every window is white and devoid of beauty.   The interior landscape is just as bleak. I dust, mop and wipe, yet see only a film of gray blanketing my home. Neville and I sleep in the same bed and eat our meals together, but the deeper connection we once had has now also accumulated a hazy grey-white patina. He used to gaze lovingly into my eyes, sit cuddling close, and pay attention to whatever I was doing, angling for my attention. Now Neville looks at me when supper is late. In lieu of meaningful looks, caresses or conversation, I tell him to do the thing he’s already doing. It gives me the illusion that he’s listen

In Vein

  Dianna arrived first. Some things never change. She knew Tammy would be last. But really, what was taking June?   She primly carried her purse to the front of the restaurant where a queue had formed. The woman over by the coat check looked a bit like June. But it couldn’t be. That woman had grey hair and varicose veins. That woman was old . It had been 30 years since she’d seen her friends, 40 years since they graduated high school. Tammy and June married the boys they dated then. Their lives revolved around children and church. They’d found each other on Facebook and arranged to meet for lunch, an arrangement Dianna regretted now. What did they have in common these days? The woman with the varicose veins turned. It was June. No question about it.   Even with the grey, she’d kept her Farrah Fawcett hairstyle.   “Dee-Dee!” June cried. “Ju-ju Bean!” Dianna replied automatically. Forty years fell away as June leapt from the line and enveloped Dianna in a hug. It was pure joy –